Dating to as far back as 1820, the historic St. James Episcopal church is a downtown Lancaster landmark building. This historic renovation covered 11,000 square feet of additions and renovations. Much care was taken to match the new elements with the existing mercer tile, brickwork, and courtyard. One of the most difficult and time consuming issues was protecting the existing structure while performing the delicate underpinning in the courtyard area to install the new basement structural system. Above the new basement is a new two-story, 1600 sf addition featuring a slate roof and brick arches to match the existing structure. The most notable element of the project was the demolition and reconstruction of the main courtyard using permeable and impermeable brick pavers and the installation of a new precast fountain.
Architect: Marotta/Main Architects